Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes
1/2 cup chopped strawberries
1/3 cup flour (ww pastry, white, spelt, Bob’s gluten-free all work)
2 tbsp rolled oats
2/3 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp sugar or 1 packet nunaturals stevia
1/3 cup milk of choice
1 tbsp unrefined coconut oil (Omit only if you like the taste of fat-free pancakes)
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, then add wet. Mix, but don’t overmix. Cook on an oiled (or sprayed) pan, on low-medium, flipping each pancake once. You can boil some more strawberries (with a bit of sugar if you wish) and smash them to make a compote.
Or top with fresh berries and Healthy Whipped Cream.
Health Recipe – Mushroom and Chestnut Ragout
• 30g /1oz dried mixed mushrooms
• 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut butter
• 6 shallots, quartered
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
• 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into wedges
• 400g / 14oz mixed fresh mushrooms, trimmed
• 4 ripe tomatoes, peeled and diced
• 2 tbsp cornflour
• 1tsp vegetable bouillon stock powder (dairy free)
• 200ml / 7floz Rice Dream, Calcium enriched
• 200g / 7oz cooked and peeled chestnuts, halved
• Handful of fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
1. Soak the dried mushrooms in 400ml hot water for 20 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 170°C, gas mark 3. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole over a low heat, add the shallots and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the carrots and parsnips and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms and tomatoes and stir.
4. Drain the dried mushrooms reserving the soaking liquid. Mix the cornflour with a little of the soaking liquid to form a paste. Add the dried mushrooms to the pan then pour in the soaking liquid, cornflour paste and vegetable bouillon powder. Bring to the boil, season, then cover and cook in the oven for 20 minutes until the vegetables are just tender.
5. Place the casserole on the hob. Add the Rice Dream and chestnuts and half the parsley. Simmer for 5 minutes to thicken the sauce.
6. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle over the remaining parsley. Serve with slices of warm bread.
• Calories 270kcal
• Protein 6g
• Carbohydrates 36.6g, of which sugars 11.6g
• Total fat 11g, of which saturates 1.6g
• Salt 0.4g
- 3 slices granary bread
- 1 large handful watercress
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- small squeeze lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 dessertspoons reduced-fat humus
- 2 tomatoes, thickly sliced
- Toast the bread.
- Mix the watercress, carrot, lemon juice and olive oil together.
- In a small bowl spread the humus over each slice of toast.
- Top 1 slice with the watercress and carrot salad, sandwich with another slice of toast and top with the tomato.
- Lay the final slice of bread, humus side down, then press down and eat as is or cut the sandwich into quarters.